26 August 2013

Easy Does It; It Really Does!

 Visit www.preparednessguy.com for the new website. 

 

UPDATE (2016): I have been using the tackle box first aid kit for three years and I am still very happy with it. Things need replaced occasionally, but with this set up, it is very easy to identify shortages and replace them.

     They say that it's better to work smart than to work hard. While hard work is important, you shouldn't make it difficult. There are no bonus points on the other side for people who knowingly make their lives miserable. That's why today I have tried to simplify my first aid kit. Easy access isn't necessarily a life or death matter, since this is for minor cuts and scrapes, but it sure does make things easier to do if you can get to everything. I'm not sure if you are concerned about being or appearing professional, but the way I see it, if you are trying to administer first aid, and you don't seem to know what you're doing, then you're not instilling much trust of yourself in the patient. Another reason to seem like you know what you're doing is to be the source of stability. As long as you remain calm, others can look to you and stay calm themselves. When you snap, the world falls apart.
     Last week I mentioned the first aid kit I used this summer.


It was fairly organized and worked pretty well. However, I had to dig around a little bit for things and I let it get a little unorganized. I have tried to remedy this problem by implementing an idea I found on a blog I stumbled onto; using a tackle box as a first aid kit. I thought this was a great idea, so I put it to use. Here's what I came up with:

 
     I completely emptied out my old first aid kit and everything found a cozy home with lots of space to spare. I was free to add all the other stuff I've had to keep separate due to lack of space. I can't fit the whole thing into a backpack or anything like that, but it has a carrying handle that makes it pretty easy to lug around. Everything has a place and I don't have to dig around. I can see everything I have and grab it right away. This box will find a home in my car until I take it to use for training next year. I'm pretty excited about it.
     I also keep a bag in my car with items for a severe emergency involving bleeding, such as a car accident. I have tried to keep a few extra things in there, but it just clutters it. This will help keep first aid treatment separate from more intense emergencies.
     There are different styles and sizes of tackle boxes. I decided on this one hoping it would have enough but not too much space. It is just right. I could go crazy putting everything in there, but I don't need everything. I have the things I need plus a few extras. Remember to only use things you would have a need for and that you know how and are trained to use. Don't go putting an emergency cricothyrotomy kit in there and hope you can figure it out if you really needed to. You've got the tools and know-how to make a pretty useful kit. This is for helping out and making life a little easier for someone in need, and who doesn't want things to be just a little easier?

5 comments :

  1. Where did you get the box from? And about how much did it cost? What is a good place to get supplies at value?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tackle box was about $13 at Wal-Mart. As far as supplies go, most of these have been collected over time. For things like bandaids, antiseptic wipes, and gauze, you can buy them in boxes and take out as many as you need. Neosporin is cheaper by the tube, so apply it to the bandaid or to a q-tip, not to the wound itself. Sometimes Wal-Mart or Walgreens will have a few things on sale, deending on the season, and you can pick up some first aid stuff for pretty cheap. Look for coupons. Coupons.com usually has deals on medicine or a few first aid things under Health Care and Personal Care. Mostly, if you already have it around the house, this is a good place to store it. I'll try to do some research on cheaper supplies. Hope this helps until then.

      Delete
    2. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU MY FRIEND AND PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU KEEP YOUR FAMILY FIRST AID KIT FULL AND ALSO MAKE A FIRST AID KIT CHECK LIST TO PUT YOUR FAMILIES FIRST AID KIT

      Delete
  2. I witnessed this first aid kit first hand (literally, had to apply some first aid to my hand) and the extent of aid almost put me into shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARE YOU FEELING OK AND I AM HERE AT EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN SERVICE IF YOU WANT OR NEED MY HELP AND I AM ONE OF THE EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN THAT WILL BE FOR YOU MY FRIEND

      Delete