19 April 2013

Finding Your Way When Lost

      Today is the first installation of Figuring It Out On Fridays, or something like that. I will typically try to have a post that is skill related, or has some sort of application, on Fridays, like today. The other posts I will do will be something about the Principles of Preparedness. I will post these on Mondays.

     Here's a video about one way that you can find your way when lost. To do it you will need:
-A magnet
-A needle(or something like it)
-Water



     It's basically that simple. I keep a magnet in my Altoids Tin Kit and also on my para-cord survival bracelet, and I usually have at least one of those with me. Of course, this technique depends completely on having the tools to do it.

    If you can't do it this way, then remember, the sun comes up in the East and goes down in the West. Also, you can use the Big Dipper star constellation to find the North Star, like this:

http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~huffman/finddip.html

 Those same stars on the Big Dipper will always point to the North Star, which kind of stands on its own. It's pretty easy to spot.

    Those are a couple ideas on how to find your way. There are plenty more, but to keep this short, I'll just leave it at that. If you want to look at a few neat ideas and can't wait, then you can look at this How Stuff Works page.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment